Monday, September 29, 2008

Cologne

THE city closest to Bonn is Cologne. It is the 4th largest city in Germany and I feel as though if Bonn were Sacramento, Cologne would be San Francisco. Cologne is the 4th largest city in Germany and a whole lot bigger than Bonn. In one of our first weeks here, our advisors at the university decided that it would be a good idea for us to see the city and become a little bit familiar with it.

Cologne is famous for 2 things: Inventing Eau de Cologne; and it's massive cathedral. On our tour of Cologne we climbed almost to the very top of the cathedral and looked out over the entire city. While my fear of heights led me to be a little bit apprehensive at first, I'm glad I took the opportunity. The view was gorgeous, the sky was clear, and I felt like I was on top of the world.

It was also cool being able to see the inside workings of the cathedral. Our tour guide showed us the skeleton of the cathedral as well as various oddities I had no idea existed.

Cologne is a nice city to visit (especially at night) but I'm really glad I live in Bonn which is just a short train ride away. In comparison to Bonn, Cologne is very large and at this point of my stay I've figured out my way around. Bonn is basically in a big circle and I pretty much always know where I'm going whereas when I'm in Cologne I feel as though if I take one wrong street I will have no chance of getting back home. A few friends and I have visited Cologne a couple of times for it's nightclubs but I always prefer returning back to my room in Bonn. At this point, I believe, it's become my home.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP